THE FIRST BOOK OF THE GREAT MUSICIANS
by Percy A. Scholes
Description: A delightful introduction to the major composers that takes readers on a journey of discovery and leaves them eager to learn more. In this first book, the reader comes to know Purcell, Handel, Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann, Chopin, Greg, Elgar, and McDowell, first through stories of their childhood and then through representative pieces of their music, selected for appeal on first hearing. Chapters on Counterpoint, Fugues, Sonatas, Symphonies, and Orchestras appear at just the right point in the narrative.
Purchase book at Amazon
Add print book to cart
Table of Contents
1. The Country People as Composers
2. English Music in the Days of Drake and Shakespeare
3. Henry Purcell—The Greatest British Composer
4. George Frederick Handel
5. John Sebastian Bach
6. C-O-N-T-R-A-P-U-N-T-A-L—A Big Word Explained
7. All About Fugues and How To Listen to Them
10. Sonatas and Symphonies
12. What Is an Orchestra?
15. What Is 'Romantic Music'?
16. Grieg and His Norwegian Music
17. Edward Elgar
18. Macdowell—The American Composer
An Inside View...