THE COMPLETE BOOK OF THE GREAT MUSICIANS
by Percy A. Scholes
Description: Contains in a single volume The First Book of the Musicians, The Second Book of the Great Musicians, and The Third Book of the Great Musicians. A stimulating introduction to the major composers, the music they wrote, and the instruments they used. For each of the two dozen composers included, the author secures the reader's interest by first relating stories of his childhood, then introducing representative pieces of his music, selected for appeal on first hearing. The reader is led on step by step to develop his listening skills, often through games of the author's invention. As he is ready to learn more about various aspects of musical form and its development, a chapter appears explaining just that. With the author taking special care to show how the paths of the different musicians intertwine and how supportive they are of each other, it seems as if he is inviting the reader to join the musical community and equipping him to be an appreciative listener, if not a musician himself.
Purchase book at Amazon
Add print book to cart
Table of Contents
THE FIRST BOOK OF THE GREAT MUSICIANS
1. The Country People as Composers
2. English Music in the Days of Drake and Shakespeare
3. Henry Purcell—The Greatest British Composer
4. George Frederick Handel
5. John Sebastian Bach
6. C-O-N-T-R-A-P-U-N-T-A-L—A Big Word Explained
7. All About Fugues and How To Listen to Them
10. Sonatas and Symphonies
12. What Is an Orchestra?
15. What Is 'Romantic Music'?
16. Grieg and His Norwegian Music
17. Edward Elgar
18. Macdowell—The American Composer
THE SECOND BOOK OF THE GREAT MUSICIANS
2. The Inventor of the Nocturne: John Field
4. About the Old Miracle Plays and Masques
6. The Earliest Operas
7. More about Opera
10. The Game of 'Camouflaged Tunes'
13. Military Music
14. Army Bands of To-day: How To Know the Instruments
THE THIRD BOOK OF THE GREAT MUSICIANS
2. César Franck
3. Russian Music
6. Shakespeare the Musician
7. More About British Music
8. Arne, the Composer of 'Rule, Britannia'
9. Sterndale Bennett
11. A Little Dictionary of British Composers
An Inside View...